When it comes to adopting a new pet, there are many factors to consider. One of the most important is the cost. If you’re considering an Exotic Shorthair cat, you may be wondering: how much do they cost? As of 2023, the average cost of an Exotic Shorthair kitten is between $800 and $2,200. However, this price can vary depending on several factors.
Factors that can affect the price of an Exotic Shorthair kitten include their age, gender, location, and the reputation of the breeder. Kittens from champion pedigrees can cost as much as $5,000. It’s important to do your research and find a reputable breeder who can provide you with a healthy and well-socialized kitten. In the following paragraphs, we’ll take a closer look at the factors that can influence the cost of an Exotic Shorthair kitten and what you can expect to pay for this popular cat breed.
What factors contribute to the price of exotic shorthair kittens?
When it comes to buying an exotic shorthair kitten, the cost can vary greatly. Here are some factors that can contribute to the price of an exotic shorthair kitten:
- Pedigree: Exotic shorthairs coming from champion pedigrees can be more expensive than those without a pedigree. This is because they have a higher chance of having desirable traits and fewer health issues.
- Health and condition: The health and condition of the kitten can also affect the price. Kittens that are in good health and have been well cared for will be more expensive than those that have health issues or have not been well taken care of.
- Polycystic kidney disease (PKD): Exotic shorthairs are prone to PKD, a genetic disease that affects the kidneys. Kittens that have been screened for PKD and are negative for the disease will be more expensive than those that have not been screened.
- Obesity: Exotic shorthairs are also prone to obesity, which can lead to health problems. Kittens that have been kept at a healthy weight will be more expensive than those that are overweight.
- Brachycephalic: Exotic shorthairs have a flat face, which can lead to respiratory issues. Kittens that have been bred to have a less extreme brachycephalic face will be more expensive than those with a more extreme face.
- Infection: Kittens that have had infections or illnesses will be less expensive than those that have not.
- Veterinary care: The cost of veterinary care can also affect the price of an exotic shorthair kitten. Kittens that have had more veterinary care, such as vaccinations and check-ups, will be more expensive than those that have not.
Overall, the price of an exotic shorthair kitten can vary greatly depending on a variety of factors. It is important to do your research and choose a reputable breeder who takes good care of their kittens and can provide you with information about their health and pedigree.
Finding a Breeder
When looking for an Exotic Shorthair breeder, it is important to find a reputable breeder who prioritizes the health and well-being of their cats. I recommend starting your search by checking with breed registries such as The Cat Fanciers’ Association (CFA) or The International Cat Association (TICA) for a list of registered breeders in your area.
Once you have a list of potential breeders, it is important to do your research to ensure that you are working with a reputable breeder. Look for reviews and testimonials from previous customers, and ask the breeder for references. A reputable breeder should be happy to provide you with references and answer any questions you may have about their breeding practices.
When choosing a breeder, quality should be a top priority. Look for a breeder who breeds for health, temperament, and breed standard. A reputable breeder should also provide a health guarantee for their kittens and be willing to answer any questions you may have about the health of the kitten’s parents.
It is also important to consider the location of the breeder. While it may be tempting to purchase a kitten from a breeder far away, it is important to remember that transporting a kitten can be stressful for them. Consider working with a local breeder to ensure that your kitten has a smooth and stress-free transition to their new home.
Finally, when looking for a breeder, it is important to find a breeder who operates a cattery that is clean and well-maintained. A reputable breeder should be happy to show you their facilities and answer any questions you may have about their breeding practices.
In summary, finding a reputable Exotic Shorthair breeder requires research and due diligence. Look for breeders who prioritize quality, health, and well-being, and who are willing to provide references and answer any questions you may have about their breeding practices. Consider working with a local breeder to ensure a smooth transition for your new kitten, and be sure to choose a breeder who operates a clean and well-maintained cattery.
Adoption and Price
When it comes to adopting an exotic shorthair kitten, there are a few things to consider. First, it’s essential to find a reputable breeder or adoption agency that specializes in this breed. You can also check with local animal shelters or rescue organizations to see if they have any available for adoption.
The average cost of an exotic shorthair kitten ranges from $800 to $2,200, depending on various factors such as age, gender, location, and breeder’s reputation. However, it’s important to note that kittens from champion pedigrees can cost up to $5,000.
In addition to the kitten’s price, there are other costs to consider, such as a collar, cat carrier, and other supplies. Pet stores may have these items available for purchase, but it’s essential to research and compare prices to ensure you’re getting the best deal.
Adopting a kitten from a reputable breeder or adoption agency can be a great option, as you’ll be able to get more information about the kitten’s health and temperament. Additionally, you’ll be supporting responsible breeding practices and helping to prevent the mistreatment of animals.
Overall, adopting an exotic shorthair kitten can be a rewarding experience, but it’s important to do your research and consider all costs before making a decision.
Variations of the Breed
Exotic Shorthair cats come in a variety of colors, including black, white, golden, silver, smoke, bicolor, and Himalayan. The breed was created by crossing Persians with American Shorthairs and other shorthaired cats, resulting in a cat with the body and head-style of a Persian, but with short hair.
The Exotic Longhair is a variation of the breed that has a longer coat than the Exotic Shorthair. They have the same body type and personality as the Exotic Shorthair, but require more grooming due to their longer hair.
Breathing problems can be a concern for Exotic Shorthairs due to their flat faces. This is a common trait in Persian cats, and can cause respiratory issues and difficulty eating. It’s important to choose a reputable breeder who screens their cats for health issues and doesn’t breed cats with extreme facial features.
Overall, Exotic Shorthair cats are a unique and lovable breed with a variety of colors and coat lengths. It’s important to do your research and choose a reputable breeder to ensure the health and well-being of your new furry friend.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the average price range for exotic shorthair kittens?
The average price range for exotic shorthair kittens is between $800 and $2,200. However, the price can go up to $5,000 for kittens coming from champion pedigrees. The price can also vary depending on factors such as age, gender, location, and the breeder’s reputation.
Where can I find exotic shorthair kittens for sale?
You can find exotic shorthair kittens for sale from reputable breeders, pet stores, and animal shelters. It is crucial to do your research and ensure that the breeder or seller has a good reputation and follows ethical breeding practices.
What factors contribute to the price of exotic shorthair kittens?
Several factors contribute to the price of exotic shorthair kittens, including their age, gender, location, and the breeder’s reputation. Kittens from champion pedigrees or with unique coat colors or patterns may also be more expensive.
Are there any reputable breeders of exotic shorthair kittens?
Yes, there are reputable breeders of exotic shorthair kittens. It is essential to do your research and find a breeder who follows ethical breeding practices, provides proper care for their cats, and has a good reputation. You can also look for breeders who are registered with cat associations or organizations.
Do exotic shorthair cats make good pets?
Exotic shorthair cats make great pets for those who are looking for a friendly, affectionate, and low-maintenance cat. They are known for their playful and curious personalities, and they enjoy spending time with their human companions. However, like all pets, they require proper care and attention, including regular veterinary check-ups, grooming, and a healthy diet.
As I researched the cost of exotic shorthair kittens, I found a few key takeaways that potential buyers should keep in mind.
- The average cost of an exotic shorthair kitten is between $800 and $2,200, but prices can go as high as $5,000 for cats from champion pedigrees.
- Other factors that affect the price include age, gender, location, and the breeder’s reputation.
- It is relatively cheaper to buy an adult exotic shorthair, with some breeders offering prices as low as $150 for breeding cats.
- Yearly maintenance costs for the exotic shorthair can reach up to $1000, so it’s important to factor in these expenses when considering the total cost of ownership.
Overall, it’s important to do your research and find a reputable breeder to ensure that you are getting a healthy and well-cared-for kitten. While prices may vary, it’s important not to sacrifice quality for a lower price.